Check Here for Latest COVID-19 Related Tax Updates

phone: 978.774.3000    fax: 978.774.8170    185 Centre St., Danvers, MA 01923

Tips for Amending a Tax Return

Situations may arise where you may need to amend one of your previously filed returns. Below are a few tips from the IRS to help with the amendment process:

• Complete paper Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. This form needs to be a paper file and cannot be efiled.
• Mail the Form 1040-X to the address listed in the instructions. If you are amending in response to an IRS notice, you should mail it to the IRS address indicated on the notice.
• Attach copies of any forms or schedules affected by the change.
• A separate 1040-X needs to be filed for each year.
• If you are expecting a refund you should wait until your original return is processed before filing an amended return.
• If you owe additional taxes with your amended return you should pay the amount due asap since interest and penalties will be accruing.
• File Form 1040-X to claim a refund within three years from the date they timely filed their original tax return or within two years from the date the person pays the tax – usually April 15 – whichever is later.
• Amended returns can take up to 16 weeks to process. You can check the status of your amended return at:

Please consult your tax advisor on all the above issues.


Leave a Reply